Willard Peak
County: Weber
Peak elevation: 9764'
One way hiking distance: 3 - 3.5 miles
Elevation gain: 1100'
Date hiked: May 26, 2007
Willard was the second of my county high points to hike. People hike Willard from two different directions: from the south via Ben Lomond peak or from the north via Willard Basin. I did it from the North. I drove up to Brigham City then went up Box Elder Canyon to Manuta, then went south up Willard Peak Road as far as I could go. Since it was Memorial Day weekend there were tons of people up that canyon. I'd never been up there before and I was impressed how pretty it was, but there were tons of 4wheelers and dirt bikers. When all the snow is melted you can supposedly drive clear to the little lake below the peak. From there it is only like a 1 mile hike to the peak. I drove as far as I could in my 4runner, but had to park it when the snow got deep. From where I parked I had about 3 - 3.5 miles to the peak. It wasn't bad hiking on the road, but after the little lake where we started doing actual hiking the snow got pretty deep and it was tough. My ankles got real cold and Sophie (my dog) had a tough time in some parts. The trip down was easy though cause I was able to slide down a big snowfield on my jacket. Sophie had fun swimming in the pond on the way back. It was a fun hike, and would be a real easy one if all the snow was melted.View of Willard Bay from the peak.
Some mountain goats we saw on the south face.
Thursday, March 27, 2008
Willard Peak
Posted by Will Radford at 9:08 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment